Monday, June 27, 2016

梅乃家 (Umenoya in Chiba)

梅乃家

DSCF6775.jpg

Work down in a remote part of Chiba meant that ramen was a possibility. But the usual 11:00am start of most ramen shops would be cutting it close; my job began at noon. The fates aligned, as there was a very popular, very remote ramen shop along my intended route, and they open at 10.

DSCF6772.jpg

This shop is a trip. It's run by three old ladies, and the customers reflect the staff. At 38, I'm no spring chicken, but I must have been half the age of the seven or eight people waiting outside the shop.

DSCF6773.jpg

This is the chashumen. I usually don't get a massive bowl the first time around, but that visual is quite striking. Most customers had theirs topped with a mound of raw local onion.

DSCF6781.jpg

It's a decent bowl, but not the kind I would go telling people to make a journey for. And, unfortunately, you'll need to make a journey if you want to experience this one. It's over three hours by train from central Tokyo, though travel time is just about an hour if you drive without traffic.

The soup was very dark and very salty. The pork was also very heavily seasoned, the kind I really enjoy for a couple pieces, but can't handle more.

It is the atmosphere that is the appeal here. Such an old shop, with such character. It's no surprise that this shop has been on TV many times.

DSCF6783.jpg

Map of 401 Takeoka, Futtsu-shi, Chiba-ken 299-1621, Japan

千葉県富津市竹岡401
Chiba-ken, Futsu-shi, Takeoka 401
Closest station: Takeoka

Open 10:00-19:00
Closed Tuesdays and some Mondays



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great pics! I love ramen so much

Unknown said...

I love your blog. I want to go to japan and eat at all the ramen places you postd!