Thursday, June 23, 2016

成田屋 (Naritaya in Asakusa)

成田屋

DSCF9329.jpg

I probably would never have come to this shop if it hadn't been for a TV shooting I was involved in.

DSCF9327.jpg

X21. On Asahi TV Friday nights.

DSCF9325.jpg

Well, the theme of this show was ramen that is popular with foreigner. Naritaya's customer base is 90% foreign. You heard me, 90%.

DSCF9335.jpg

I was as surprised as you. Sure, this is located in the middle of Asakusa, one of Tokyo's most touristy neighborhoods, but that number seems crazy for a country of, well, Japanese people.

DSCF9334.jpg

The master explained it perfectly.

DSCF9321.jpg

The shop is Halal certified, and a bit of a destination for Muslims wanting to try something Japanese. Dietary restrictions can be a nightmare in Japan, and a shop like this is an oasis.

DSCF9329.jpg

The ramen wasn't really to my liking, I found it too garlicky, with herbs and vegetables being used to replace the non-halal meats and alcohol that gives ramen a lot of its signature umami flavors.

But if you are strict halal, your ramen options are either this place, or my recommendation of Oka.

DSCF9339.jpg

Fun TV shoot, though.

DSCF9320.jpg

Map of 2 Chome-7-13 Asakusa, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 111-0032

東京都台東区浅草2-7-13
Tokyo, Koto-ku, Asakusa 2-7-13
Closest station: Asakusa

Open 10:00-20:00



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Big fan of your work and Youtube channel . I'm so thankful that you reviewed this place since this is the first ramen shop I went to during my trip at Asakusa . Huge help for all the Muslim tourists like me in Japan

Ramen Adventures said...

Great to hear. There aren't a lot of Muslim-friendly food choices in Japan, but I'm happy you found a few.