Tuesday, February 12, 2013

蔦 (Tsuta in Sugamo)



Thanks for coming to this page. It is getting a lot of hits with the new Michelin news. Please read my latest post if you are planning to check out this amazing ramen shop.

http://www.ramenadventures.com/2015/12/how-to-get-bowl-of-michelin-starred.html



_DSC9415.jpg

Tsuta is the new king in town. Given the coveted #1 spot in the only ranking that really matters, Tokyo Ramen of the Year (TRY) magazine, for new shops.

_DSC9412.jpg

This is shoyu perfection. Until now, shoyu at this level was only available at En and 69 n' Roll One; both shops about an hour from central Tokyo. Tsuta is only a minute walk from Sugamo Station on the Yamanote line. Super convenient.

_DSC9414.jpg

It's all about the minor details. Tsuta's tare is made from a blend of three different soy sauces. The main is from Shodoshima (小豆島), a small island in the middle of Japan's Seto Inland Sea. The others are 生揚げ, raw unpasteurized soy sauces, from Ibaraki and Wakayama.

Sorry, no Kikkoman here.

The resulting taste is an intense, slightly sweet mix that suddenly puts Sugamo on the ramen map.

_DSC9410.jpg

I work here in Sugamo once a week, so this is good news indeed.

_DSC9421.jpg


View Larger Map


東京都豊島区巣鴨1-14-1
Tokyo, Toshima-ku, Sugamo 1-14-1
Closest station: Sugamo

Open 11:30-14:30, 18:00-20:00
Thursdays and Sundays 11:30-14:30
Closed Mondays

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just moved to Tokyo for a bit and based on your top ramen list I ended up at Tsuta today and had the best bowl of shoyu ramen I have ever had.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info, though the opening days are inaccurate as they are now open on Mondays. I just got myself a ticket for later today, it was 7.20 when I arrived and there was no queue. Since I got a ticket for 11am I can only assume that I was the start of the queue and perhaps too early for my liking! Maybe the buzz has died down a bit now that it's a few months since they got the award . if there really is huge queues from 7am on other days then I guess Monday is the day to go!

Kathy said...

Looks soo good, I just love dishes like this one!Ramen in Rochester MN

Streamlod said...

Fabulous job