Friday, May 20, 2011

吹田ラーメン (Suita Expressway Stop Ramen)

吹田ラーメン

DSC_7150.jpg

Golden Week is a special time of year in Japan. Special because it's one of the 3 big holiday weeks. Along with Obon and New Years, this is when people get to take a holiday. I am no exception, and I took a 10 day trip to the island of Shikoku. Although my trip was dedicated to the Daishi, I made sure to make time for the dashi.

If you get that reference, leave a comment. Otherwise read on to hear about some mediocre highway rest stop ramen.

DSC_7152.jpg

I'm not aware of the Suita area having it's own style of ramen. I'm not even sure where Suita was, no that I am back from my trip. Somewhere near Osaka.

DSC_7147.jpg

Shoyu that served it's purpose, to fill me up.

DSC_7148.jpg

Japan's highway system is scattered with parking areas. Since you cannot get on and off the highways without paying the extortion-like tolls, people need a convenient place to eat. These road stops often boast a lot of local flavors, making a cross country trek a bit of a gourmet adventure. But I have yet to have a really good bowl. Preliminary research shows nothing. But I'll keep riding, and I'll keep eating.

3 comments:

rudeivan said...

Hey Brian-- I've been to Kukai's birthplace, and the dashi for udon is good there. Didn't have any memorable ramen, but I may not have looked in the right places.
Thanks for the updates, I spend painful minutes salivating over ramen every time the bowl looks good. Closest thing to where I am is ramen in NYC, which can be good, but in the end its New York ramen: trendy and pricey.

Ramen Adventures said...

Of the 4 prefectures in Shikoku, Kagawa seemed the least interested in ramen. I saw a couple udon shops with 100+ lines though.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't get the reference but here's a stab: dashi I know from cooking and its relevance with ramen broth is obvious but daishi... as in great master?