Sunday, May 22, 2011

まゆみの店 (Mayumi's in Suzaki)

鍋焼きラーメン まゆみの店

DSC_7578.jpg

I may be obsessed with the stuff, but when I saw a sign for nabe-yaki ramen at a generic tourist stop I was stumped.

DSC_7576.jpg

This shop. sitting above a local bank/gift shop, sold everything from hamburgers to fried rice. I was running late to my campsite, but my ramen research led me to discover that this area, Suzaki, created it's own style of ramen. My research also led me to a better looking shop.

DSC_7580.jpg

That's Mayumi, a nice lady from the countryside who has been serving up nabe-yaki for some time now. By the way, nabe is a clay pot, usually reserved for stews. The earthen ware is heated, and the ramen served inside. Mind your fingers... is something almost no one does, and shouts of itai can be heard. Ouch!

DSC_7582.jpg

Followed by sighs of umai. It's delicious.

DSC_7586.jpg

Very similar to it's neighbor, Tokushima ramen, Suzaki ramen differs with the noodles and toppings. The noodles are cooked very firm, and will continue to cook inside the hot pot. The egg, too, will cook. Quick decisions need to be made. I dipped my noodles in the egg Tokushima style, then ate the egg white hard. Good stuff!

DSC_7591.jpg

I was a bit shocked to see that this sleepy seaside town has it's own ramen map with over 30 shops serving nabe-yaki ramen. It made me realize that the adventure will never be over.

DSC_7581.jpg


View Larger Map


高知県須崎市栄町10-14
Kochi-ken, Suzaki-shi, Sakaemachi 10-14
Nearest station: Tosashinjo

Open 11:00-21:00
Closed Thursdays







No comments: