Monday, October 2, 2017

八咫烏 (Yatagarasu in Kudanshita)

八咫烏

DSCF0017.jpg

Yatagarasu opened in late 2016, and it was immediately on my radar. Sure, the bowl's beauty was a draw, and the Instagrammers I follow were going wild, but I was interested in something else.

DSCF0007.jpg

咫 - Yata

This Chinese character I had never seen. It means something about the distance between your outstretched fingers. But to me it looks like "RA". You can't spell ramen without 咫!

DSCF0010.jpg

My odd obsession with funny looking kanji aside, this is one of Tokyo's hot new shops.

DSCF0011.jpg

And it lives up to the hype.

DSCF0012.jpg

Go for the black or the white, both are great.

The black is made with a bold soy sauce blend. You can judge this one based on looks, it is a really stellar bowl. Low temperature pork (all the rage these days) is just bold enough to stand out.

DSCF0019.jpg

The white, on the other hand, is a bit lighter. Made with an aromatic Japanese dashi. I would say go with the black on your first time, though, but that is what Ramen Adventures is partial to.

DSCF0021.jpg

By the way, the name of the shop, Yatagarasu (八咫烏), refers to a mythical raven that helped an emperor conquer the east.

DSCF0008.jpg



東京都千代田区九段北1-9-2
Tokyo, Chioda-ku, Kudanshita 1-9-2
3 minute walk from Kudanshita Station

Open 11:00-22:00
Saturdays 11:00-15:00
Closed Sundays