Thursday, January 23, 2014

麺屋宗限定 (Limited at Menya Sou in Takadanobaba)

麺屋宗 -sou- 高田馬場本店

_DSC5422.jpg

Another winter gentei; limited bowl. This one is from Sou, a popular Takadanobaba shop that I have yet to visit on a regular day. This year's crop of winter limited bowls brought a lot of light flavors, with many shops using simple bowls to highlight fish toppings. Sou went a different route.

_DSC5430.jpg

If this creation looks a bit on the decadent side, that is because if uses Beurre d'Echire. Considered the gold standard of fine French butter, Beurre d'Echire has probably never touched a bowl of ramen until now. Croissants and pastries, sure, but how does it sit with a light shio ramen?

_DSC5427.jpg

Certainly rich. And with a slice of parma ham and a bit of lemon, this is about as far from ramen that you can get away with.

_DSC5425.jpg

These limited bowls are fun, and I am happy that they exist . . . for a limited time. I'll be back for the regular bowl here, which is highly ranked among Tokyo's elite ramen shops.

_DSC5429.jpg

And now I know about Beurre d'Echire, the 84% butterfat butter that I will be buttering my toast with from now on, once I can find it in the Tokyo capital.

_DSC5431.jpg

Official Site Here



東京都新宿区高田馬場1丁目4-21
Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku, Takadanobaba 1-4-21
Closest station: Takadanobaba

Open 11:30-16:00, 18:00-22:30

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found this:
http://www.kataoka.com/echire-maisondubeurre.html

I'll be using Echire butter from now on as well. Though I first heard of the thing while watching an anime about bread making.