Monday, December 4, 2017

Vege China in Shinjuku

VEGE CHINA

DSCF1783.jpg

Fancy department store Chinese noodles?

DSCF1789.jpg

Most upscale department stores in Japan have a restaurant floor up high. The food ranges from upper-end casual to lower-end gourmet, and I am sure there are some gems out there. To be honest, I don't spend much time shopping at the likes of Isetan, Matsuyama, and Mitsukoshi. On the off chance I find some fashion I am in to, the price is never something I would spend. Six hundred dollars for that fashion t-shirt, I just can't do it.

DSCF1803.jpg

The reason I was up in Shinjuku Isetan this day, though, was for a popup kakigori shop. Kakigori is Japanese shaved ice, and I've been trying to figure out why people are so obsessed with it.

DSCF1809.jpg

This one was topped with mango, an earl grey spumante (the popup was from a famous tea supplier), and fresh passion fruit. Did we really need the gold leaf? I guess that's why this cost over $20. Scratch what I said about blowing large amounts of cash.

DSCF1781.jpg

Kakigori alone doesn't really fill you up, so I headed to the neighboring Chinese restaurant for a bowl of their seasonal cold noodles. Cold tantanmen is a thing in Tokyo, and most Chinese restaurants come up with their own seasonal version. It usually consists of a lot of toppings.

DSCF1786.jpg

VEGE CHINA uses plenty of fresh veggies in all of their dishes, and the tantanmen follows suit. All in all it was decent. Nothing outrageous, just a quick post-shaved ice snack to get the day started.

If anyone knows any amazing tantanmen that is hiding at a Chinese restaurant, please let me know so I can try it.

DSCF1791.jpg



東京都新宿区新宿3-14-1
Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku, Shinjuku 3-13-1
Closest station: Shinjukusanchome

Open 11:00-22:00

1 comment:

Kozo said...

When I was tantanmen hopping way back in the day I remember Bikaen in the underground of Shimbashi being quite good.