Thursday, December 28, 2017

浅月 (Satsuki in Okayama)

浅月本店

DSCF2209.jpg

Anytime I hear about a shop that opened in the 昭和 (Showa era 1926 - 1989), I have to try it. Satsuki is 昭和23, aka 1948. Fantastic.

DSCF2207.jpg

From father to son, this is a local legend of a shop.

DSCF2222.jpg

Autographs from famous people of yesteryear, yellowing in the shop.

DSCF2220.jpg

And an amazing bowl of chukasoba.

DSCF2212.jpg

Wow, wow, wow. With newer shops going all out in the ingredients department, it is still good to eat a classic bowl like this. Ramen has definitely become gourmet, especially in Tokyo, but the roots are in inexpensive comfort food, often made from bone scraps and cheap rationed wheat flour. Slurping a bowl like this helps us understand why ramen became a staple food in Japan.

DSCF2210.jpg

Looking back at my personal ramen journey, I was surprised to see that this shop was only a few minutes walk from the company dormitory that I stayed at when I first arrived in Japan more than 11 years ago. At the time, our boss recommended a terrible 180 yen ramen place next to the station. I slurped with my new coworkers, and no one really enjoyed it. It took a few years before I had a bowl I really loved. If he had told me about this spot, my ramen adventures would have started much earlier.

DSCF2229.jpg

The locals know what's up!

DSCF2205.jpg



岡山県岡山市北区奉還町2-5-25
Okayama-ken, Okayama-shi, Kita-ku, Hokancho 2-5-25
5 minute walk from Okayama Station

Open 10:30-21:00
Closed Wednesdays