Thursday, December 21, 2017

九十九里煮干つけ麺 志奈田 (Shinada in Akihabara)

九十九里煮干つけ麺 志奈田

DSCF2241.jpg

Akihabara's latest is Shinada, but the full name of this spot is kujukurin niboshi tsukemen shinada. Formerly Tanaka Second, one of my favorite shops.

DSCF2236.jpg

I was a bit sad when the master, Tanaka-san, decided to change his recipe. I loved it so much that I convinced a TV show to feature them on an episode we filmed:



Raaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeennnnn! As my days with #TokyoExtra are finished, I guess it is ok for this ramen to be as well.

DSCF2231.jpg

The shop's name now includes kujukurinhama, the famous beach on the east side of Chiba. This part of Japan is very famous for niboshi, dried sardines. Although these dried sardines make their way into many styles of ramen, nothing utilizes them more than a bowl of thick tsukemen.

DSCF2240.jpg

Two styles. The above 純濃煮干しつけ麺 thick soup and the below 淡麗塩煮干しつけ麺 thin soup. Choose either. Better yet, go with a friend and get both.

DSCF2247.jpg

The differences are not just in the soup, but in the presentation of the noodles. The thinner soup means noodles served in konbusui, a light broth made from Japanese kelp. It is a little bit slimy, and has some of the most intense umami flavors you can experience.

DSCF2250.jpg

Really special stuff.

At first I was upset that I will never have that clear bowl of abalone and spiny lobster ramen again, but I was told that it will sometimes appear as a limited slurp. Regardless of whether or not it is available, this tsukemen is a huge winner.

DSCF2234.jpg



東京都千代田区外神田3-4-1
Tokyo, Chioda-ku, Sotokanda 3-4-1
Closest station: Akihabara

Open 11:00-15:00, 17:00-20:45
Sundays 11:00-18:00
Closed Mondays

1 comment:

Ramen Raff said...

Definitely hittin’ up Akiba to try this!