Thursday, June 1, 2017

さんじ (Sanji in Ueno)

さんじ

DSCF7495.jpg

WARNING (April 2020) - This shop is rejecting customers who are not Japanese nationals. This is because of the Covid-19 epidemic. They are getting a TON of hate on the internet. Keep this in mind. If you are not Japanese, you will be turned away.

One valuable resource for hot new shops is Instagram, and the feed on my 'gram was blowing up with photos from Sanji. I made it a point to go as soon as possible.

DSCF7215.jpg

Well, I really wanted to try their Crazy Crab bowl, but then I showed up to this sign. Today we are serving duck soba only.

Oh well, I'll give it a try.

DSCF7213.jpg

Hinomaru Sanji is their Friday-only, duck shop.

DSCF7219.jpg

Tasty.

DSCF7225.jpg

I wasn't blown away, but it was a decent slurp to say the least.

DSCF7229.jpg

I bought a sticker on the way out. See you again soon!

DSCF7233.jpg

Soon came much sooner than I thought.

DSCF7494.jpg

I've recently started doing tours through Airbnb, The concept of this one is Ramen Adventures, and we visit two shops that I've never been to. Travelers get to experience life as a ramen blogger. A perfect chance to head back to Sanji.

DSCF7500.jpg

Yes! This one was amazing.

The soup is a creamy pork broth with shoyu as the main seasoning. A crab flavored oil coats everything, giving it an ocean taste that isn't too fishy. We rarely see crab in ramen, and this unexpected flavor was a hit to the senses.

Topped with rare chashu and some quail eggs. You can top it with extra quail eggs - うずら - for 50 yen a piece. Some people had five or six. Go as big as you want, each one is a flavor bomb.

DSCF7221.jpg

Glad I came back!

DSCF7218.jpg

Map of 3 Chome-25-12 Higashiueno, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 110-0015

東京都台東区東上野3-25-12
Tokyo, Taito-ku, Higashiueno 3-25-12
7 minute walk from Ueno Station

Open 11:00-15:00, 18:00-21:00
Saturday 11:00-15:00
Closed Sundays