Monday, May 22, 2017

劔 (Tsurugi in Takadanobaba)

焼麺 劔

DSCF6926.jpg

Wow!

I rarely eat a bowl with the wow factor anymore, but the above was definitely something new.

DSCF6918.jpg

Billed as 焼麺, yakimen, this bowl uses noodles that have been fried on the teppan grill. Add to that a slice of chashu that looks more like bacon, and a fried egg, and you've go what I call breakfast ramen.

DSCF6924.jpg

As with any unique ramen, there is an instruction sheet telling the customer how to eat it. Even though I tried, this one was a challenge. The noodles are all fried together, and my chopstick skills aren't high enough to easily cut the mass.

If I were to go back, I might get the non-fried version with regular noodles.

DSCF6930.jpg

Despite the challenge of how to eat, this bowl was awesome. The soup is concentrated and thick.

DSCF6922.jpg

Fresh ground katsuo flakes add another layer of smokiness to the bowl.

DSCF6935.jpg

They've been visited by celebrities. Actually, this was for research on my part for an upcoming TV show about ramen in the area. Tsurugi was given the bronze out of 60 shops. Not bad.

DSCF6917.jpg

Map of 2 Chome-6-10 Takadanobaba, Shinjuku-ku, Tōkyō-to 169-0075

東京都新宿区高田馬場2-6-10
Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku, Takadanobaba 2-6-10
Closest station: Takadanobaba

Open 11:00-15:00, 18:00-22:00
Closed Sundays