Monday, May 1, 2017

吉法師 (Kipposhi in Oshiage)

拉麺 吉法師

DSCF6090.jpg

Yes, that soup is blue.

DSCF6077.jpg

The ramen scene around Tokyo Sky Tree is a bit lacking, so when I heard about Kipposhi, a short walk from the famed tourist attraction, I had to check it out.

DSCF6074.jpg

But first!

DSCF6081.jpg

Kipposhi's signature ramen is a tori paitan. Creamy chicken soup topped with some colorful peppers. I have if on good accord that the paitan is a winner.

DSCF6082.jpg

Well, I couldn't resist the urge to try their newest bowl. Blue tori chintan. Chintan is clear soup, and this is based on their original chicken soup recipe.

DSCF6091.jpg

Hit with food coloring for a unique color.

DSCF6105.jpg

Not bad, but I'm not falling for the gimmick. Go with the thicker chicken soup if you try this shop. Although the blue added no flavor, it messed with my mind and I didn't really get into this one. If they used some natural blue product, some kind of algae or something, I might have thought differently. Blue chemical food dye isn't something I want to put in my body.

Actually, the master didn't tell me the details, but according to this article the food coloring is derived from natural spirulina algae.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/21/now-unicorn-ramen-is-a-thing-6395879/

DSCF6085.jpg

Although it isn't bright pink, it matched the master's crazy hair.

Instagram worthy.

I'll be back to try the rest of the menu.

DSCF6079.jpg

Map of 3 Chome-1-17 Azumabashi, Sumida-ku, Tōkyō-to 130-0001

東京都墨田区吾妻橋3-1-17
Tokyo, Sumida-ku, Azumabashi 3-1-17
Closest station: Honjo-Azumabashi

Open 11:30-15:00, 17:00-22:00
Closed Wednesdays