Monday, November 21, 2016

博多一双 (Hakata Isso in Fukuoka)

博多一双 博多駅東本店

DSCF2072.jpg

I love my ramen, and I love my adventures. But sometimes, it can be a lot for my stomach. I was officially binging in Osaka ramen before making my way down to Hakata to binge on creamy tonkotsu ramen.

DSCF2077.jpg

Most shops in Hakata are easy to get to, with long hours and not-so-long waits. Notice I say Hakata, not Fukuoka. There are some shops in the countryside of this prefecture that only open for lunch, run out of soup, and have odd holidays. Thank you Hakata for being tourist friendly.

DSCF2076.jpg

Isso is a solid shop. Open for 13 hours a day, with no days off makes it convenient as well.

DSCF2071.jpg

To be honest, this was when I reached my ramen-limit for the week. You've broken me, Hakata!

Which is unfortunate, because Isso serves a fantastic bowl. Opened by the Yamada brothers in 2012, their soup is more on the refined side. They use local fare, the soy sauce, pork, and green onions come from local makers, a sentiment that you feel most shops out here don't adhere to. The soup is constantly moved between pots while cooking, creating what has been dubbed Ramen Cappuccino (their words, not mine).

Great soup, legit noodles, and more toppings than your average tonkotsu bowl. But, like I said, I had just overdosed on ramen.

DSCF2074.jpg

Adding healthy amount of しょうが - ginger - helped a bit. Ginger is a natural digestive aid, and its use in many Japanese cuisines is a result of a healthful history.

DSCF2081.jpg

Unsweetened fresh ginger kakigori - Japanese shaved ice. This dish, eaten for breakfast at Suzukake, acted as a much needed cleanse, though I would avoid heavy Kyushu noodles for the next week.

DSCF2069.jpg

Official site here.

Map of 3 Chome-1-6 Hakataekihigashi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken 812-0013

福岡県福岡市博多区博多駅東3-1-6
Fukuoka, Fukuoka-shi, Hakata-ku, Hakataekihigashi 3-1-6
Closed Station:  Hakata

Open 11:00-24:00

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this bowl. Probably my favorite among all my Hakata slurps.