Thursday, November 6, 2014

雪風 (Yukikaze in Sapporo, Hokkaido)

麺屋 雪風

DSCF6732.jpg

We are spoiled in Tokyo. Not only do we have amazing new shops opening weekly, we have superior versions of styles that have their birthplaces far from the capital.

Miso ramen's history dates back to 1955, when a customer asked for noodles in his miso/pork soup. Since then, Sapporo has been synonymous with miso ramen. But, truth be told, my limited excursions into the far north have had less than stellar results. Bowls were mediocre, while the miso ramen joints in Tokyo that I frequent really shine.

DSCF6721.jpg

Yukikaze is, of course, highly ranked and famous. This is usually a sign of greatness, but my skepticism is high when it comes to miso.

DSCF6725.jpg

Taking the chance (a business trip sent me up here for the week), I waited in the long line, and ordered the most popular menu item. 濃厚味噌らーめん. Thick miso ramen.

DSCF6727.jpg

Yes, yes! I wanted to shout out my praises in this silent shop. Silent because everyone is entranced by their bowl of miso perfection.

DSCF6730.jpg

A secret blend of three misos, topped with just the right amount of high quality toppings. This bowl sits alongside the best of the best.

I dug the sprinkling of fried potato on the top, it added an extra kick of salt and texture that matches with that silky smooth soup.

DSCF6734.jpg

As this random celebrity agrees!

(Actually, he isn't random, and he said the shio ramen was good. I'll be back to try it.)

DSCF6737.jpg



北海道札幌市中央区南七条西4-2-6 LC拾壱番館 1F
Hokkaido, Sapporo-shi, Chuo-ku, Minami 7, Nishi 4-2-6
Closest station: Susukino

Open 19:00-2:00am
Closed Sundays

1 comment:

Alfa Investor In A Good Mood said...

Thank you for a picking up my hometown Ramen shop. I will visit soon.