Thursday, November 27, 2014

安福亭 (Anbukutei in Nagaoka)

安福亭

DSCF7219.jpg

Niigata Prefecture boasts an unexpectedly diverse collection of ramen shops. Pick up on of the many annual ramen magazines and you'll be shocked. Ramen Adventures could be devoted to only Niigata (if I lived up there of course).

DSCF7232.jpg

The above free flyer features only a handful of the shops around Nagaoka Station.

Of course, Niigata isn't Tokyo, and a deep ramen search requires a car or bike. With just a few hours in town, I had no plans to go deep. The highest ranked shop within walking distance of the station was Anbuketei, a biker-friendly bowl that specializes in the Tsubame-Sanjo style.

DSCF7211.jpg

Tsubame-Sanjo means thick noodles, thick soup, and plenty of seabura back fat.

DSCF7213.jpg

Intense.

DSCF7220.jpg

Definitely a quality slurp, and the shop was full of children and the elderly alike. At one point, a spontaneous "Gochisosama!" (thank you for the meal) screaming contest erupted from a particularly large group of five-year-olds, much to the amusement of everyone present.

If you live in Tokyo and want the equivalent, Dokkan has you covered.

DSCF7225.jpg

This isn't a bowl that the average ramen fan would finish. Simply slurping all the noodles and eating all the excellent chashu is enough.

DSCF7210.jpg



新潟県長岡市柏町1-2-18
Niigata-ken, Nagaoka-shi, Kashiwacho 1-2-18
Closest station: Nagaoka

Open 11:00-20:30
Closed Mondays and some Sundays

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear ramenamerican, Thank you for your introduction to Anpuku Tei. There is a lot more delicious ramen in Nagaoka! !

kongbuhara said...

I was born and raised in Tsubame, so this Tsubame-Sanjo style ramen is my soul-food, so to speak. I really appreciate that you sometimes pick up on it. I live in Kobe, which I think is a ramen desert, now, but whenever I go back to my hometown, I eat ramen of that kind. By the way, I used to live in Komagome, Tokyo, and went to 千石自慢ラーメン so many times. I'm happy that you seem to like it.