Tuesday, July 30, 2013

東横 (Toyoko in Niigata)

東横

_DSC3686.jpg

My company usually puts me up in the Toyoko Inn, one of Japans premier business hotels. Business hotels are generally a no-frills deal; room, TV, shower. I actually recommend Toyoko Inn. There are branches all over the country, usually next to the station, and you always know what you are going to get. I've stayed at some off-brand business hotels that were less than ideal.

_DSC3701.jpg

So when a friend recommended a ramen shop by the same name as my hotel, a few minutes walk from my hotel, I had to go.

_DSC3698.jpg

Toyoko is super old school.

_DSC3685.jpg

Greasy, worn out menus were unnecessary, as the standard miso with extra vegetables is the way to go.

_DSC3690.jpg

Known for overly salty broth, Toyoko serves their noodles with a side of clear, hot broth. Dilute it as much as you want, but I recommend slurping those noodles as is.

_DSC3694.jpg

The super strong taste is popular with, for some reason, a bunch of older Japanese rock bands. Sorry, I'm no expert on the sounds of Akanofuru and Heroine, Champagne, or Big Mama.

_DSC3695.jpg

Sorry about that.

_DSC3699.jpg



新潟県新潟市中央区南笹口1-1-38 コープオリンピア笹口1F
Niigata-ken, Niigata-shi, Chou-ku, Minamisasaguchi 1-1-38
Closest station: Niigata

Open 11:00-22:00
Tuesdays 11:00-14:00

No comments: