Sunday, May 19, 2013

BASSO in Ikebukuro

BASSO ドリルマン

_DSC1609.jpg

Another bowl off my checklist. And another bowl with the Mormons!

I'm not sure if my readers know how the system of doing your mission works. Basically, for two years, you are shuffled around the country you were dealt. Every six weeks or so you are given news; should you stay or should you go. So while I go through my life, the Mormons from the Hibarigaoka Church of Latter Day Saints get a new bunch of kids every couple months. And every new group is told by the old about the local guy who has time on Wednesday afternoons to show them a good ramen shop.

_DSC1616.jpg

BASSO's homemade noodles are awesome. Some of the chewiest in town.

_DSC1612.jpg

Although I would say the best point is those noodles, the soup, made from free-range Akita chickens and special Akita shoyu is worth the visit.

_DSC1614.jpg

There is also a ramen thickened with back fat on the menu and a new item, aburasoba. This shop is a repeater for sure. See you back here soon, Elders!

_DSC1618.jpg

Official Site


View Larger Map


東京都豊島区西池袋2-9-7
Tokyo, Toshima-ku, Nishi-Ikebukuro 2-9-7
Closest station: Ikebukuro

Open 11:30-21:00
Closed Sundays

2 comments:

Justin Call said...

As someone who's originally from Utah, I gotta say that it's awesome you take the missionaries out for some awesome ramen. I can't wait to hit up some of these places next time I'm in Tokyo. Keep up the good work!

Steve D. said...

BASSO's aburasoba (¥800) was recommended in the new 2018 Tokyo Ramen Walker magazine.