Thursday, January 17, 2013

ヤナギヤ (Yanagiya in Morioka)

ヤナギヤ

IMG_0173.jpg

Kimchi natto miso ramen. With a 40 year history.

IMG_0175.jpg

Talk about local!

IMG_0174.jpg

I was, as is usual in these countryside towns I visit for work, toured around by a local. This was the final stop on a mega-食べ歩き night.

IMG_0178.jpg

The key is that the kimchi and natto are blended with the soup, as opposed to being simple toppings.

I don't hate natto, but it isn't something I care for much in it's slimy, natural state. Blended with the soup, though, and all that remained was a slight essence of the stuff. A whiff of stinky, fermented soy beans if you will.

IMG_0187.jpg

Yes, I will!

IMG_0179.jpg

Wait, what's that on top?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the rare cheese topping. It was odd for sure, and I don't know if I can recommend it. The sweetness of the local cheese, the stinky natto, the spicy kimchi, and the creamy miso. A lot going on. If you want complicated, this is for you!

IMG_0181.jpg

Official Site Here


View Larger Map

岩手県盛岡市大通2-2-15
Iwate-ken, Morioka-shi, Odori 2-2-15
Closest station: Morioka

Open 11:00-16:00, 18:00-5:00am
Closed Mondays

No comments: