Friday, November 5, 2010

田村屋 (Tamuraya in Ochanomizu)

酒と肴と麺の店 田村屋

20101105-DSC_3712

From a recent visitor to ramenadventures.com,

"Daishi is getting hot in Bunkyo. It's about a 15min walk from Yushima. A former TV Champion (on TV Tokyo) Ramen King claims it will break through into Ramen fame. Basically Chuka-soba-style with chicken oil. Thoroughly prepared and delightful. For more stimulation, you can try Tamuraya. Closer to Hongo-Sanchome. Their Miso-Niku-Tofu-Tanmen is spicy-hot (if you get the "karasa-ari"), maybe a bit salty and pricey (1,100yen)."

Now that's the kind of comment I like!

20101105-DSC_3715

Tamuraya has about 6 or 7 types of tantanmen available. Regular, vegetable, meat, or tofu; plus some seasonal dishes.

The cheese cream tantanmen at was appealing, but I went with the miso mabodofu tantanmen (as recommended) instead.

20101105-DSC_3724

A massive brimming bowl. At 1100 yen it's kind of pricey. And though the tantanmen part of the bowl was excellent, the mabodofu was fairly normal. I used to work in the same building as Iron Chen Kenichi's mabodofu shop, so I'm a little spoiled when it comes to the spicy tofu stir fry.

20101105-DSC_3717

As always, anything in East Tokyo gets compared to Kikanbou, my favorite spicy miso shop in the area. And as always, I say go to Kikanbou first, and all the other places second.

20101105-DSC_3721

I think I'll come back for that cheese cream though.

1 comment:

HMiki said...

Hi again. The thought may have crossed my mind that their tofu topping is sort of bland (oh, was it me who recommended this place?). If it means anything to you, Mr Tamura came in second place at the Ramen Square in Tachikawa. This is one of those places where wannabe Ramen chefs are given a chance to serve their stuff to the public (or to be recommended for a profession in a different field). Though you may have noticed, his experimental bowls, such as the Cheese Cream Ramen, are seasonal. Haven't tried it but I can imagine a buttery richness, which in general goes well with miso. Happy hunting!