Tuesday, November 9, 2010

凪西新宿店 (Nagi Niboshi in Shinjuku)

特級中華そば 凪

20101109-DSC_3754

A last minute invitation to attend a Soka Gakkai event had me out the door at 11am on my day off*. I decided to precede the religion adventure with one a bit more worldly. A ramen adventure worthy of praises on high!

20101109-DSC_3753

Or at least something convenient on the way.

Located in the same building as Nagi Nicai, this ground level Nagi (nagi icai?) does a powerful niboshi ramen. Lot's of dried fish go into the soup. Oh, if you want some water, look up.

20101109-DSC_3738

Also look behind, there is a cool "History of Nagi" poster on the wall.

20101109-DSC_3737

The New York Times article made it into their history. Very cool.

20101109-DSC_3745

Every Nagi shop is different, and the niboshi style is definitely something new.

20101109-DSC_3749

If my slightly blurry photo is any indicator, this was just a so-so bowl. I've always disliked raw onion with my noodles. That is until I ate at nearby Dokkan, which is similar to what I had today, plus lots and lots of fat. It makes a difference, those mounds of pork fat.

20101109-DSC_3751

But I love that every Nagi shop tries something completely new. And the lunch crowd was strong, so as far as niboshi ramen with tons of raw onions, maybe this spot is up in the top tier.

20101109-DSC_3752

Congratulations Keizo on a year living the ramen dream. I still remember day 1. As long as I can get another visa next year, here's to another!

20101109-DSC_3758


*I'm not a religious guy, but anytime someone invites me out to something, I go without a second thought.

3 comments:

Justin Chicago said...

How many Nagi shops are there now? Does the chef take more of a "manager" role now that he has multiple shops?

Anonymous said...

I follow this blog and just had to comment -- your photos are so freakin' beautiful! That alone makes it a great blog to follow (not to diminish all the other great things about this blog).

Ramen Adventures said...

It looks like 5 official shops (if you include the one opening in Hong Kong this month). The list doesn't include naginicai or the Tachikawa branch at the New York Ramen Square though.

http://www.n-nagi.com/shop_info/index.html