Monday, October 13, 2008

いちや (Ichiya Ramen in Tachikawa)

いちや



This one is your standard Tokyo style ramen. The soup is a shoyu - soy sauce - base made with chicken and fish. A normal amount of abura, those floating particles af fat that help people live to be over 100. I'm convinced that's the secret. Recently I read some parts of a book where the author says to never drink water, because it dries you out. I'm getting off track, but yeah, normal shoyu stuff here.

The problem with shoyu ramen is that the really really good ones are only slightly better than the really really cheap ones. A massive bowl of shoyu ramen can be had for as little as 190 yen, that's less than 2 bucks, in some places. I guess my palate isn't refined enough to tell the subtle differences.

Success!

There it is, all the shops at Tachikawa's NY Ramen Square. I'll go ahead and say that the 2 Kyushu shops, Nagi and Samurai, are the best. With Nagi taking a slight lead because they had some unique toppings to add to the ramen.

If you're ever in Tahcikawa on the weekend, hit me up, I'll be eating some noodles at lunch time.

3 comments:

Dennis K. said...

"The problem with shoyu ramen is that the really really good ones are only slightly better than the really really cheap ones."
Great point! I can relate as well..

Oscar said...

hey im heading to tokyo soon and i was hoping you could tell me how to get to the ny ramen square in tachikawa from the station :)

Ramen Adventures said...

For real its really easy. Out the South exit, in the Area Area building across the way. If your feet touch the actual road that cars drive on, youre doing it wrong!