Tuesday, October 28, 2008

不如帰 (Hototogisu in Hatagaya)

I'm back to my Top 30 From Some Random TV Show hunt.



不如帰

Hototogisu translates to "the lesser cookoo bird". To be more specific Cuculus poliocephalus. Fascinating. So here we are, #8 in Japan according to the list. It's been a few months since I tried anything new from my Top 30 list, mainly because of my mission to eat lots of Tachikawa ramen. Well I'm done in Tachikawa (done eating at new restaraunts, never done with ramen) so it's back to the grand adventure. I only have like 6 or 7 more to go in Tokyo, which shouldn't be much of a task. Plenty of ramen lovers hit multiple places a day, so why is it taking me months?

I think it's the weather. The mad heat of summer and bitter cold of winter make going out a pain. But now it's the 2 or 3 weeks of nice weather between the seasons. Some may call it autumn. Let's eat!



It's in a little alley off from the main shopping street. There was reggae on the stereo and spot lights shining on stainless steel. It's a nice shop.



The recommended bowl was the shoyu ramen. The little bits are carmalized onions. Amazing taste. Imagine a nice French onion soup gets fed to a pig. This pig then has sex with a chicken. The resulting mutant beast is slaughtered and somehow made into ramen.



Definitely unique. On the weekend the master makes a special ramen from some sort of French quail. Unfortunately, I went on a weekday, so there was no obscure ramen to be had. I'll be back though.

2 comments:

Keizo Shimamoto said...

Haha, thanks for the link but please eat at your own risk :) ... Nice review and great visual! Why is it that Japanese cops always know where the ramen-ya's are? I think I need to look into becoming a Japanese cop!

Ali Gupps said...

best quote ever!!!
"Imagine a nice French onion soup gets fed to a pig. This pig then has sex with a chicken."