Thursday, August 10, 2017

NOROMA in Nara

麺屋 NOROMA

DSCF8247.jpg

The debate rages on about which ramen is the best in Nara Prefecture. Some people opt for Mitsuba, with their mega-creamy soup and long lines. The rest say NOROMA. Presonally, I can't decide.

DSCF8252.jpg

I spent the day touring around the mountains of Nara, something few people do. Most, especially tourists, take an express train from either Osaka or Kyoto, hit the famous Nara temples, and head home. They don't realize that this is an entire prefecture.

DSCF8236.jpg

On the road, I met local Naran Momo on her Yamaha R3, a sexy little 321cc sports bike. When the conversation shifted to ramen, she actually said that Tenri and Saika were her favorites. Two shops I've never heard of. The hunt continues.

DSCF8241.jpg

I arrived well early to NOROMA. It was my first time, and I was sure they would have a bigger line. Nope. When they opened at 6:30pm, there were only three people behind me in line.

DSCF8245.jpg

Torisoba. Creamy chicken soup.

DSCF8250.jpg

This bowl is indeed awesome. The medium-thick toripaitan, creamy chicken soup, is set apart by the intense chicken flavor. Simple, yes, but a very, very comforting bowl.

Noodles come from Mineya Noodles Factory (ミネヤ製麺製) a famous noodle maker that services the greater Kansai area.

DSCF8238.jpg



奈良県奈良市南京終町3-1531
Nara-ken, Nara-shi, Minamikyobatecho 3-1531
14 minute walk from Kyobate Station

Open 11:30-15:00, 18:30-21:00
Mondays 18:30-21:00
Closed Wednesdays