Thursday, July 13, 2017

博多一瑞亭 (Hakata Issuitei in Shinjuku)

博多一瑞亭

DSCF7966.jpg

Great Hakata-style tonkotsu ramen is tough to find in Tokyo, especially if you've had the stuff in Kyushu. Tokyo loses a bit of the vibe, and residents complain about the smell. So shops cut corners, or go out of business. Shops like Tanaka Shoten are great, but not so convenient.

DSCF7964.jpg

When a native Japanese friend from Kyushu told me that his favorite spot in Tokyo is just down the road in Shinjuku, I had to go. Seven bowls of ramen please!

DSCF7960.jpg

I was on one of my group tours, and we were hungry after the 15 minute walk from Shinjuku Station.

DSCF7965.jpg

Solid. This bowl was on the rough side. I know some people like their tonkotsu ramen silky smooth and white, but I'll take a flavorful bowl with bits of pork fat any day.

DSCF7971.jpg

The egg is good, but not necessary.

DSCF7972.jpg

Quite a big shop, so it worked out well for our group tour.

DSCF7974.jpg

DSCF7962.jpg

Crushed it!

DSCF7975.jpg



東京都新宿区新宿1-4-12
Tokyo, Shinjuku, Shinjuku 1-4-12
1 minute walk from Shinjuku-Gyoenmae Station

Open 11:00-23:00