Thursday, September 1, 2016

山頭火 (Santoka in Asahikawa, Hokkaido)

らーめん 山頭火

DSCF1363.jpg

Santoka, you may have heard of it. In recent years they have opened four shops in my home state of California, and ramen fans have approved.

DSCF1359.jpg

I'm actually a bit surprised at myself. I've never been to Santoka. It is a chain, with many shops around Japan, and I tend to stay away from chains. But the real surprise is that a few years ago I translated their English language overseas website, and still didn't make it in.

The truth was that, after reading about their history and passion, I wanted to have my first bowl at their head shop, in Asahikawa, Hokkaido.

DSCF1362.jpg

Finally, after all these years.

DSCF1364.jpg

The bowl is nothing like the Asahikawa-style that most people know. Instead of an intense soy soup, Santoka is an elegant, creamy shio. It's very nice, and the smaller, custom bowls are the perfect size. I can see why it is a hit in the States; creamy pork soup and tender chashu are always a winning combination.

I also had an experience that is becoming more and more common in remote Japan locations these days. At first the staff was scared of English communication (they wanted to ask if I would sit at a communal table), and then the master recognized my from TV. Thank you for your hospitality!

DSCF1366.jpg

Official site here.

DSCF1358.jpg

Map of 8 Chome 1 Jōdōri, Asahikawa-shi, Hokkaidō 070-0031

北海道旭川市旭川1条通8丁目348番地3 ささきビル1F
Hokkaido, Asahikawa-shi, Asahikawa 1-8-348-3
Closest station: Asahikawa

Open 11:00-20:45







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Always enjoyed Santouka. At the time we lived in the US, it was one of the few options for real tonkotsu.