Thursday, September 15, 2016

ラーメンロッキー (Rocky in Kamikawa, Hokkaido)

ラーメンロッキー 狩勝店

DSCF1556.jpg

I snapped the shot below, of my bike with a beautiful lavender field, just before the sun started to set.

DSCF1554.jpg

The campground on lake Kanayama is beautiful, and I should have just set up my tent, cracked a bottle of local sake, and been done with the day. But no, there was a cheese factory, of all the stupid things to be interested in, about 50 kilometers away. I had a bottle of French wine, a Premier Cru made by a friend of mine, that I had lugged in my bike's touring cases, and I was set to drink it with something nice.

Halfway to the cheese factory, a thunderstorm. The mountains were cold, I didn't have my rain gear, but I continued on. Of course, you can guess what happened. The cheese factory was closed for the day when I arrived. Of course.

DSCF1555.jpg

So on my way back to the campground, I stopped at the only ramen shop I could see.

DSCF1557.jpg

Obihiro is the largest town in the area (I considered going there to get a hotel room instead of camping), and Rocky is a group of three or four shops in the area. Serviceable miso ramen for local families and truck drivers, but nothing I would return for.

DSCF1558.jpg

I spent the night cold and wet, and discovered that my prized camping tent has a leak.

But wait, there's more to the story. The next day, on the way to a dry hotel room in Asahikawa, I found another cheese factory, where I purchased a nice aged cheddar and a smoked Camembert. A day later, at the top of a 2300 meter mountain peak, I popped the cork on that wine. Of course, you can guess what happened. I had left the cheese in the hotel room's fridge.

DSCF1559.jpg

Map of 118 Shintoku Kisen, Shintoku-chō, Kamikawa-gun, Hokkaidō 081-0038

北海道上川郡新得町字新得基線118
Hokkaido, Kamigawa-gun, Shintokucho, Shintokukisen 118
Closest station; Shintoku

Open 11:00-19:00
Closed Thursdays







1 comment:

gocchi said...

the real bad luck brian