Monday, December 21, 2015

みつ葉 (Mitsuba in Nara)

ラーメン家 みつ葉

DSCF4252.jpg

This one was on the list for a while. Located way out in Nara Prefecture, It was required that I spend an extra night in Osaka after my work finished, wake up early, and line up well before the shop opened. In case you aren't familiar with the lay of the land, Nara is just less than an hour from Osaka.

DSCF4248.jpg

Outside, the sandwich board lets you know; 10 people will be about 25 minutes, 20 people equals 50 minutes, and more than 20 people is more than an hour. At 10am (they open at 11), I was number 12. Two minutes after I got in line, there were about 30.

This was on a weekday.

You are warned.

DSCF4250.jpg

Shoyu or shio, it's your choice. Make sure you get the chashumen for the full effect.

DSCF4254.jpg

What a beautiful bowl. It wasn't as creamy as I thought it would be. They hit the soup with a hand blender just before serving to froth it up a bit. Underneath the foam is a deep shoyu soup. Amazing stuff. Rare, peppered chashu lining the bowl is their signature.

This bowl looks a lot like one of the best ramen shops in Japan, Ore no Ramen Appare, which actually isn't too far away. If you hit up both shops, you would have eaten at the #2 and #6 ramen shops in Japan, if you follow the popular rankings.

DSCF4257.jpg

Yes, this shop is out of your way. But if you come here early, you'll be set for a nice day in nearby Nara, one of Japan's famous historical areas. There are temples, quaint restaurants, a big Buddha, and plenty of the area's most famous draw; friendly deer.

DSCF4261.jpg

I love Nara. People say it is like a mini-Kyoto, but I think of it as a more relaxing experience. The entire place is green and natural, and a short hike up the hill puts you far enough from the city to feel at peace.

DSCF4277.jpg

I've been hitting off all the big ones lately. Just a few more to go . . .

DSCF4246.jpg

Map of 3 Chome-3-15-1 Tomio Motomachi, Nara-shi, Nara-ken 631-0078

奈良県奈良市富雄元町3丁目3-15-1
Nara-ken, Nara-shi, Tomiomotomachi 3-3-15-1
Closest station: Tomio

Open 11:00 until they run out
Closed Sundays and holidays

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just watched Super Japan on Discovery channel in which your website is mentioned. I love the thick soup at Tenkaippin (天下一品). What do you think of the chain store? Hope your leg is getting better (I also ride).

Victor
Hong Kong

Unknown said...

I don't think this place accepts gaijin. I was just turned away. The guy flashed me an "x" sign and said "closed," but continued to accept Japanese customers after I stepped out of the queue. I was quietly and patiently waiting in line, decently dressed and sober. FYI.

Ramen Adventures said...

Dennis, any more info? Some places have a timed ticket system when the lines are very long. How many people went in after you? Also, they might have run out, and any new people showing up were given the "x" sign.