Thursday, September 24, 2015

彩未 (Saimi in Sapporo, Hokkaido)

麺屋 彩未


DSCF2469.jpg

I've been making it a mission to eat at the highest ranked ramen shops in the country. Saimi is by far the highest ranked miso ramen. Just outside the heart of Sapporo, this is one of those shops that always has a line, and always runs out of soup.

DSCF2467.jpg

With shops like Yukikaze and Okami Soup having shown me that Sapporo miso is something worthwhile, I was ready to be blown away.

DSCF2462.jpg

Like most Hokkaido shops, they have miso, shio, and shoyu on the menu. One bowl of miso please.

DSCF2472.jpg

Right off the bat, these were the best yellow, curly noodles I've ever had. Springy and full of bite.

DSCF2475.jpg

The soup was definitely good, but I can't agree with the rest of the country in giving this the coveted number one. The master's roots are at Sumire, and the Sumire/Junren style is my least favorite way of doing miso ramen. The impact is minimal, though I think that is the point. Instead of a salty miso hit, you get a smooth, subtle flavor.

DSCF2481.jpg

If you are in Sapporo, put this on your short list and decide for yourself.

Map of 5 Chome-3-12 Misono 10 Jō, Toyohira-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaidō 062-0010

北海道札幌市豊平区美園10条5丁目3-12
Hokkaido, Sapporo-shi, Toyohira-ku, Misono 10jo, 5-3-12
Closest station: Misono

Open 11:00-15:15, 17:00-19:30
Closed Mondays

No comments: