Thursday, September 17, 2015

さよなら、くるり (Goodbye, Kururi)

さよなら、くるり

DSCF2434.jpg

As of September 1st, 2015, Kururi is closed. I braved the line on their last day, a line of 40 people that took about two hours, to slurp it one last time.

DSCF2425.jpg

Kururi, for me, is a very important shop. When I started this site, back in the end of 2008, the only resource I had was a ranking list of shops from some TV show I managed to find with an internet search. Kururi was that list's number one. And for me, it was the first time I had something that truly blew me away.

DSCF2428.jpg

The infamous black sign. Kururi had no way of inviting you in. Just a small shop with a blackened wood exterior, next to a tire shop, with a long line.

DSCF2431.jpg

My ramen guidebook, 最強アメリカ・ラーメン男 東京 極ウマ50店を食べる, is now officially outdated.



My original, and very old, write up of Kururi is here.

8 comments:

pikanacho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pikanacho said...

???
I went to Kururi (in Ichigaya) on Wednesday, September 16th and it wasn't closed. Though there was only two items on the menu, spicy miso ramen or tsukemen. The ramen was so good.

And 50 minutes of wait :)

Unknown said...

Hello pikanacho,

former Kururi is now called "Otsukaya" and it is the only remaining shop of the three that existed in Tokyo. They changed their menu a bit and hopefully they stay open.
I hope you enjoyed your ramen there ;)

pikanacho said...

I understand.
Thank you for the heads up. Damn i missed the original Kururi :(
Otsukaya was delicious

jase8au said...

Oh no! Terrible news. I loved their ramen. It had become part of my New Year routine. Visit Omiya Hachimangu Shrine then off to Kururi for Newy Year's ramen!

jase8au said...

New Year's ramen even......

Unknown said...

Oh no! Kururi's miso ramen blew me away too the first time I had it. Was so looking forward into diving into a bowl next month...

Unknown said...

Oh no! Kururi's miso ramen blew me away too the first time I had it. Was so looking forward into diving into a bowl next month...