Thursday, August 21, 2014

鑫渝都摊摊面 (Xinyudu in Beijing, China)

鑫渝都摊摊面

_DSC0089.jpg

Another supposed hidden gem in Beijing, the internet promised that Xinyudu was as authentic as it gets, albeit in the food court of a fancy department store.

_DSC0084.jpg

Traditional Chinese characters for tantanmen anyone? 摊摊面 becomes 坦坦麺 becomes 坦々麺.

_DSC0082.jpg

According to the aforementioned internet recommendation, the staff all speak with a heavy Chongqing accent; a sure sign of authenticity.

_DSC0077.jpg

Another authentic touch is the addition of dongcai, a mix of pickled cabbage and mustard greens. Dongcai (冬菜) is dark green, and I can't say that I've ever eaten it before (though I probably have).

_DSC0087.jpg

Hmmmm . . . no dongcai. I guess they are under new management.

_DSC0090.jpg

I wasn't too impressed with this one. It was generally good, though nowhere near the bowls I can get at many, many places in Tokyo.

_DSC0091.jpg

As usual, it gets tastier as you get to the bottom.

_DSC0095.jpg

Ah, a well written article on the internet that is, unfortunately, out of date. Such is the problem with modern China. Actually, this writeup will only be viewed illegally, as Ramen Adventures is on the Blogger platform, a site that is blocked by the Chinese government. Along with Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Google. Chinese readers coming here by way of their illegal VPN service, I welcome you.

I also welcome any suggestions for Beijing. I really enjoyed my three nights there (taking advantage of the free 72-hour layover visa) and plan on visiting again when I get a chance.

_DSC0094.jpg

朝阳区建国路87号新光 天地地下1层
Shin Kong Place, 87 Jianguo Lu, Chaoyang District

Open 10-10

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least we tried, right? I've come across food bloggers that equated Ippudo with the train wreck bowl at Invincible Ramen, so these articles are usually good only for the address. That is, if the place is still in business by the time you get to it.