Wednesday, February 22, 2012

さいころ (Saikoro in Nakano)

肉煮干し中華そば さいころ

_DSC2995.jpg

The dice in the windows are a sure bet that you're at Saikoro, a short walk from Nakano station.

_DSC2999.jpg

But the massive neon reads Jiraigen. What's up with that? I remember a trip a few years ago to Jiraigen, a solid shoyu with too much chicken oil in the soup for my tastes.

_DSC3002.jpg

Turns out they closed up shop, moved a mile away, and extended their hours. Saikoro is Jiraigen, down to the rich broth and chicken oil.

_DSC2992.jpg

The atmosphere is great. Dubbed Japanese "soul" noodles, reminiscent of a 50's diner, playing loud hip-hop on the stereo, and featuring lock-haired young locals, this is a nabe pot full of modern culture. With excellent noodles.

_DSC2998.jpg

If I didn't dislike chicken oil, I would be a regular here. That stuff just seems to coat my stomach. Two out of three people would disagree with me on this point. That's why I can reluctantly add this to my ever-growing list of recommendations.

_DSC2997.jpg

Two out of three ramen fans would drink the bowl dry of soup. Maybe more like nine out of ten.

_DSC3004.jpg

Check out my video review!


_DSC3001.jpg




東京都中野区中野2-28-8
Tokyo, Nakano-ku, Nakano 2-28-8
Closest station: Nakano

Open 11:00-23:00

No comments: