Monday, November 14, 2011

阿吽 (Aun in Yushima)

四川担担麺 阿吽

_DSC0722.jpg

The quest for great tantanmen continues, and this time the adventure took me to Aun. Go for the ramen, and stay for the scene. Yushima is famous for it's sordid past; in the Meiji period it was home to the city's male brothels. Much of the red light flavor remains until modern times. Speaking of red flavor...

_DSC0713.jpg

The first taste is like pure tahini. Almost no spice. But as the soup, hot oil, sansho spiced pork, and dried shrimp mix together, the creamy gives way to spicy. Mildly spicy that is. I could have done with about 4 or 5 levels higher. Maybe I missed the option on the menu.

_DSC0704.jpg

Regardless, this is quite an enjoyable addition to my list of recommended shops.

_DSC0707.jpg




東京都文京区湯島3-25-11
Tokyo, Bunkyo-ku, Yushima 3-25-11
Closest station: Yushima

Open 11:00-14:00, 18:00-22:00
Saturdays 11:00-15:00. 18:00-22:00
Sundays 11:00-15:00, 18:00-21:00
Closed Mondays

2 comments:

takcook said...

Hi Brian!! I went to this shop on a rainy night while I was in Tokyo. I don't know what level of spice I had but it turned my tongue almost totally numb. I thought it was an allergic reaction at first and slowed my eating down. but when I realized that the spice came from Sansho I finished the bowl. I noticed things were clearer as I left the shop. Lights and sounds seemed crisper. You should go back, get the one with hella sansho and see if you come out feeling mildly euphoric!!

Ramen Adventures said...

Awesome. For an absolute sansho overload check out Kikanbo in Kanda.