Sunday, June 5, 2011

九ツ家 (Kokonotsuya in Hachioji)

九ツ家

DSC_8163.jpg

Hachioji is, yes, a bit out of the way. I was working out here for the day, and wanted to go to En, one of the highest rated shops in Japan. But the soup had run out, and I was turned away at the door. Such is the life of a ramen adventurer.

DSC_8165.jpg

Instead, I went to the nearest shop, a Yokohama style ramen shop just around the corner. I like the name. Counting in Japanese is confusing. Though kyu means nine, if you are asking about 9 objects, you should say kokonotsu. Confusing, yes. But when you are drinking with a group at the 150yen beer joint, screaming out "Coconuts!" will get you another round of 9 beers. Try it sometime! I'm not sure what this ramen shop has to do with kokonotsu, or coconuts for that matter.

DSC_8167.jpg

The bowl was nothing special, but the pork was close to the original ie-kei style in Yokohama.

DSC_8170.jpg

I'll be back (just around the corner though).

DSC_8171.jpg







東京都八王子市横山町22-1
Tokyo, Hachioji-shi, Yokoyamacho 22-1

Open 11:00-23:00

2 comments:

Ming said...

Their generic counters can come in handy especially when I can't get my "p" "h" "b" straight. When we are out drinking with friends in August I would like a demonstration of "Coconuts onegai!"; if it really works the round is on me.

Ramen Adventures said...

I've ordered "coconuts onegai" with as few as 3 people. Let's enjoy!