Saturday, June 11, 2011

愛愛 (Ai Ai in Komagome)

米沢ラーメン愛愛

DSC_8293.jpg

Yonezawa is a few hundred kilometers north of Tokyo. And, of course, this city has it's own ramen style.

File:Yonezawa in Yamagata Prefecture.png

At least, that is what I was led to understand when I found this place. Despite the chain feel (other shops are located in nearby Otsuka and Ikebukuro), I had high hopes when reading the plaque on the wall proclaiming the wonders of Yonezawa ramen, and the shop's use of some Yonezawa ingredients.

DSC_8294.jpg

I went with the standard shoyu ramen, plus a side of fried rice. Like it's nearby neighbor to the south, Kitakata, it's a simple bowl.

DSC_8297.jpg

Simple in all ways. There are some much better shops in the area, like Nishio Ramen, but Ai Ai is open at all hours practically. I guess it has that going for it.

DSC_8295.jpg

When I asked the chef to explain Yonezawa ramen to me, he grunted and said, "It's where I'm from." I continued my interview by asking what Yonezawa local ingredients he uses. "Just the noodles." It was a short interview.

At least it's close to the station.

DSC_8301.jpg

A few days later I was drinking with a friend, a native of Yonezawa, and asked her what is so special about her hometown noodles. Her explanation was a little more eloquent. "When us countryside girls come to the big city, everyone is eating tonkotsu soup; strong-smelling, thick stuff. But back home, we really just love a warm bowl made with our clean mountain water. It's simple, and good."


View Larger Map

東京都豊島区駒込1-28-14
Tokyo, Toshima-ku, Komagome 1-28-14
Nearest station: Komagome

Open 11:00-5:00am

No comments: