Wednesday, May 19, 2010

一龍 (Ichiryu Yatai in Fukuoka)

一龍

20100505-DSC_0917

Ichiryu is one of those shops. It's so famous that it's almost a default adventure. The line is long, so I waited until about 1am, when all the train folk would be long gone. I jumped in the line...

20100505-DSC_0918

... right in front of this gentleman and his colleagues. It was my bad, and I apologized and let them back into their rightful place.

20100505-DSC_0919

But I was only one person, they insisted, I should go first. After a short battle of politeness, they asked me to join them at their table. New friends!

20100505-DSC_0920

I'll never say no to being treated to a bowl. And if your business is expensing it, all the better!

20100505-DSC_0921

Ichiryu has been a permanent landmark in the massive world of the yatai here. They have been serving in this exact spot since 1974. Such fame has led to a few branch shops. You can have a bowl of the stuff in many places across Japan, with a shop just down the street from Bassanova in Tokyo.

20100505-DSC_0922

How was it? Like I said before, I loved every bowl on this trip. Being treated to a beer and bowl by some guys who sell suits for a living; how could I not love it!


View Larger Map

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, Brian. Thanks for sharing. That bowl of tonkotsu ramen looks muy delicious!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian, a friend of mine just reminded me that MSG causes hair loss. So with the amount of ramen you've been eating, have you noticed much hair loss, nevermind that you're wearing a close crop.

Ramen Adventures said...

I'll keep an eye on my head!

I recently bought a ramen guide book that features preservative free ramen. I'll stick to that one for a bit-

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian, here's a blog posting about one of my favourite ramen joints in Singapore. It's run by a Japanese expat who has been in the Lion City for a pretty long time. Enjoy!

http://ieatishootipost.sg/2010/05/best-ramen-in-singapore-contender-10.html