Thursday, January 14, 2010

こうかいぼう (Kokaibo in Kiyosumi)

こうかいぼう

20100114-DSC_7580

Finding a great shop can be an adventure, or a complete cinch. The easiest way to eat good is to simply look at a reputable magazine or website's ranking, and pick a top shop. This time it was the #4 ramen from ultra database Supleks.jp. Not to be confused with Bret Hart's signature suplex finishing move.

20100114-DSC_7581

The rankings can be misleading though, especially in Japan. I'm not sure about the supleks ranking logistics, but if a shop is mentioned by someone famous on TV, it will suddenly be everyone's favorite. If a member of AKB48 says she likes even the worst of ramen shops, you can bet the next day every otaku in town will be there.

20100114-DSC_7579

All that said, I'm a sucker for rankings. I read them all, and make notes in my Tokyo street atlas. That's how I got to Kokaibo, which is near a lesson I teach.

20100114-DSC_7573

Made from pork, chicken, konbu, fish, and many many vegetables. That may sound like the recipe at 90% of shops, but it's the proportions that count. I love that they list this stuff out for me. They even mention that the water is from a Seagull IV, which sounds horrible, but is just a type of water purification system.

20100114-DSC_7574

The set comes with a small rice and raw egg. There was also a set with a bowl of fried pork rice, which looked really good.

20100114-DSC_7575

The ramen was a simple thing, reminding me a lot of Ikaruga. I had my first taste.

20100114-DSC_7576

Perfect. Some sweetness to it. Then... something was different. Not wrong, but different.

20100114-DSC_7577

The soup has almost no aftertaste. I've never, in all my bowls, been left with the taste of... water. My bowl of similar looking ramen the day before lingered for hours. This one had been suplexed, and was down for the count.

20100114-DSC_7578

The whole lack of aftertaste thing works great here. You really taste the noodles. And the subtle initial flavors aren't crushed by a garlicky power. Ramen rankers of Supleks, well ranked.

More Shop Info Here

4 comments:

Nate said...

dude, what is up with the seagull IV thing? when i went to toride in shinsen, there was a huge thing tacked to the front of the store telling of the masters trials and travails on the path towards cooking his own ramen...then at the end - and to make good ramen it takes good water - thats why toride uses seagull IV. fucken a.

glorya said...

Hello! what camera do you use? you take some great pics!!

Ramen Adventures said...

Thanks! I use a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 30mm lens.

Anonymous said...

The other set is not fried rice, its bolied rice with strips of dried seaweed and chunks of pork probably ends and bid of the char siu. Works well.