Monday, March 23, 2009

きら星 (Kiraboshi Ramen in Mitaka)

It's been a while since I attempted to knock more ramen shops off my Top 30 in Japan list.

It's also been a while since I posted anything new. Sorry about that. I went into a sort of ramen slump, if you will. I fell into routine, becoming a creature of habit. Saturdays were usually spent eating at Bankara, and locally I tend to go to Ippudo a lot. But it's time to change, time to experience new bowls!

きら星


DSC_0318
(from Musashisakai station, take the south exit and go a little west to 武蔵野市境南町3-11-13 )

Kiraboshi, which is only about 10 minutes by bicycle from my place. How did I not go here yet? Well, the simple answer is that this was the 4th time I've gone. Once I got there too late. Once they were on vacation. Once I just missed the lunch hours. 4th times a charm.

DSC_0315

The menu and... a stamp rally? More on that later.

DSC_0313

There was a line of 4 people outside. About a 15 minute wait before I was seated and ready to eat.

DSC_0309

The payoff. Thick, concentrated soup. The master simmers pork bones for 30 hours to make his soup. This isn't everyday ramen, it was very heavy. Remember I said this place is only 10 minutes by bicycle for me? Yeah, don't ride a bicycle after eating.

DSC_0308

One signature here is a little dollop of saba, mackerel fish, paste. It's will add a nice little kick of something different when mixed in. I gotta complain about the raw onion bits thrown in though, I'm not a fan.

DSC_0310

できた! Done!

DSC_0319

There is a stamp rally going on in my area for the next month! The information is here. If I get all 12, I get a Tシャツ... a T-Shirt. I hate cheezy giveaway shirts, but I'll give it a go. All except 2 are within my weekend commute to work.

Here's a video of Kiraboshi:


2 comments:

Dennis K. said...

Looks wonderful Brian!! Did you have to wait in line? In the video, the narrator described the paste as Wafu-An. Wow, the essence of Japanese flavor concentrated in a paste! I must try this one day. :)

Ramen Adventures said...

No wait when I went. Maybe on a weekend it will be crowded. It's also a bit out in the sticks.