Monday, March 2, 2020

ラーメン専門 ひまわり (Himawari in Asahikawa, Hokkaido)

ラーメン専門 ひまわり


Miso ramen. Shoyu ramen. Shio ramen. Most people know these Hokkaido ramen styles. Some people know that curry ramen is the famous fourth. But what about offal ramen? Did you know about 北海道ホルモン系?


A few years ago I was hitchhiking in the area and a local told me to check out Himawari. Finally, I had the chance.


Basically spicy miso ramen with stir-fried offal. This lunch-only shop was packed, and they close when soup runs out.


I've had horumon ramen a few times in Japan, and this one was the first I really enjoyed. The intestines need to be fried just right, the spicy heat needs to barely overpower the funk, the vibe needs to be legit. Himawari hit all these marks.

You can get it with or without that spicy heat. You can even go extra spicy 激辛 but that's up to you. I believe you can also get extra offal topping. Again, up to you. Just be warned that if you are put off by intestine meat ala tripe in your menudo, this one may not be for you.


Hokkaido is foodie heaven when it comes to local stuff from the farm or ocean. Don't just do the standard melon/sea urchin/bbq lamb, try something unique!

Also eat a lot of melon/sea urchin/bbq lamb.


A quick internet search showed me that I visited another horumon ramen spot in Hokkaido back in 2009. Check it out if you want to see some throwback Ramen Adventures.

Official site here.



No comments: