Thursday, December 19, 2019

Toki Underground in Washington, D.C.

Toki Underground


I needed a break from the shikomi (仕込み means prep work) at the popup we were doing in Washington DC. Luckily, there are a few things to do.



Can't escape Kusama. I've seen her work in exhibitions in half a dozen countries.


Art is good, especially when it is in a ramen shop. Toki Underground is full of colorful pop art, stickers, and various skate culture beauty. The chef/owner built this place with heavy influence from his youth spent in Japan and Taiwan.


Hence the eclectic menu. Apart from a range of ramen, there are bao buns, kimchi, and dumplings. The ramen includes miso, tsukemen, soupless dandanmen, and what I chose, the shop's tonkotsu ramen.


Kickass. Although the chashu is a bit different, and the green onions a bit different, and the egg a bit different, this one was really satisfying. I say different, but that is just comparing this bowl to a Kyushu tonkotsu ramen. What Toki Underground serves up is their own version. Nothing out of place (I really don't like corn in my tonkotsu ramen). I hope to come back and try a few more here. Someday.


Official site here.


No comments: