Thursday, May 16, 2019

アジア食堂パクパク (Pakupaku in Shinjuku)

アジア食堂パクパク


This shop is only a three-minute walk from my front door. One minute if I run. Why would I run? I won't lie, sometimes I wake up late and run the short distance from my bed to Nishi-Shinjuku-Gochome Station to catch the subway. I have yet to be late for work or an appointment, but I have come quite close.



I was reluctant to come here. The previous shop in this building was called Mojito Table. They grew their own mint and served mojitos alongside a Thai / Western bar menu. But the service was terrible, and I got a bad vibe. Also, the mojitos were very overpriced and nothing special, so I vowed to never return. By the way, if you want great mojitos in Tokyo, head to 808 Lounge in Shimokitazawa. And tell Uno-san I said hello.


Back to my local spot.


Creamy tori paitan topped with some roasted chicken. I personally don't like chicken skin inside of ramen; I think the texture is too slimy. So once I removed the skin this one was ok. I don't dislike chicken skin, but that raw smell is something I try and avoid. Crispy chicken skin yakitori is one of the best things in Japan, but that's a different world.


So all in all, a bowl you might like. The shop is in a busy part of town, but down a secret alleyway, so I don't know if their business will work.


It looks like they do more of an Asian menu at night, so I'm not sure if they are still connected with that old mojito spot.