Monday, March 4, 2019

大阪麺哲 (Mentetsu in Osaka)

大阪麺哲


What a bowl!

I met up with Ben for a bowl in his home of Osaka. Mentetsu was on the list, but I didn't really know what kind of ramen I was in for. We sat down and started looking over the menu. Ben mentioned that this spot has a secret menu. The idea is that only those in the know will know. A perk for regulars and fans.

In a big voice, I asked the staff what is on the 裏 menu for the day.

They said they don't have any idea what I was talking about.


So here's how it works. Check their Facebook page. Do NOT ask them about it. This is the rule, meant to keep their secret menu a secret.

My bad.


So I ordered off the normal (yawn!) menu. Yama (山) looks interesting.


Ramen topped with grated Japanese yam and a raw egg. This is ネバネバ food. Neba-neba means slimy, and they love it in Japan. I'm not a fan of about half the neba-neba stuff out there (natto, okra, nameko), but Japanese yam blends perfectly with soup.


It might look like a mess, but it is wonderful.


I'll be back, armed with a softer voice and knowledge of the secret menu of the day.