Thursday, April 20, 2017

タンタンタイガー (Tantan Tiger in Asakusa)

タンタンタイガー

DSCF6120.jpg

Anytime I hear of a new soupless tantanmen spot, I get excited. I love that hit of spice and sansho, Chinese numbing pepper. The more the better!

DSCF6114.jpg

I learned a lesson today. More isn't always better. When the master asked the levels of spice, I went normal. As for the numbing pepper, I went 大. I went big.

It wasn't until my third or fourth bite that I actually read the info sheet (more of a warning sheet). For the 辛さ, the spiciness, the middle is the shop's standard, and recommended for normal people. I can attest, it was just right. But the 痺れ, numbing level, has a different suggestions. For first timers, go 小, go small. If you like bitter, go normal. If you are a bit crazy, go big.

DSCF6117.jpg

So yeah, this one was way over-spiced, a folly that was completely my fault. I powered through, but didn't enjoy it as much as I should have. Those pre-shock bites, the first, second, and third, were great.

DSCF6122.jpg

Tantan Tiger has a selection of side veggies; avocado, tomato, and cilantro among others.

DSCF6124.jpg

A lovely onsen tamago helped the heat a bit.

DSCF6115.jpg

I was with the staff of MOTO NAVI magazine, and as they were featuring me in their magazine, I had to save face and finish the entire bowl. The good thing about sansho is that it doesn't linger.

So yeah, I recommend this one, but go medium or less on the spice.

DSCF6125.jpg

Map of 2 Chome-2-1 Torigoe, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 111-0054

東京都台東区鳥越2-2-1
Tokyo, Taito-ku, Toritoge 2-2-1
3 minute walk from Kuramae Station

Open 11:00-15:00, 17:00-22:00
Closed Saturday