Monday, March 13, 2017

ふぐだし潮 八代目けいすけ (Fugu Dashi Shio Keisuke)

ふぐだし潮 八代目けいすけ

DSCF5230.jpg

The latest from the Keisuke group comes in the form of an upscale pufferfish ramen. Yeah, this is fugu ramen.

DSCF5241.jpg

Fun shop that I would encourage anyone to try at least once. Every new Keisuke shop feels like a limited-time gentei bowl, and most are ones I would never slurp a second time. This fugu ramen falls in that category.

DSCF5244.jpg

Have you had fugu before? The flavor is almost non-existent. I've eaten my fair share of the stuff, from $300 a person VIP places to a buck a piece deep-fried street-food fugu. My favorite is the deep fried, because it tastes like it has been fried. Fugu meat, with its lack of flavor, I honestly don't get it.

I welcome anyone who can school me on the fugu world and why it is so prevalent in Japan.

DSCF5229.jpg

Back to the ramen. Go for the full deal (1650 yen, upper-left on the machine). You'll get the bowl, plus an extra plate of goodies.

DSCF5231.jpg

Lots of attention to detail here. The menma is heavily seasoned, the chashu sous vide. The egg is awesome.

DSCF5234.jpg

As for the soup, it is light and delicate. You'll get a slight fish flavor, nothing too intense. This bowl is what I would imagine fugu ramen should taste like.

DSCF5243.jpg

They have more expensive sets that include a bowl of rice to pour the soup into, but that seemed like too much food. Also, deep fried fugu, but they were sold out when I went.

DSCF5227.jpg

Official site here.

Map of 5 Chome-2-1 Ginza, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 104-0061

東京都中央区銀座5-2-1
Tokyo, Chuo-ku, Ginza 5-2-1
Closest station: Ginza

Open 11:00-11:00