Monday, February 27, 2017

一作 (Ichiku in Saga)

ラーメン一作

DSCF4877.jpg

Work was in Nagasaki, but the hotel for the night was up in Saga.

DSCF4858.jpg

See you Nagasaki! Kiss my . . .

DSCF4874.jpg

I made a rule a few years ago. Never be critical about ramen when I'm with my non-ramen friends or coworkers. Slurp anything, smile, and keep your opinion to yourself. I've found that most people in Japan are quick to compliment food. I blame the constant flow of food shows; no one ever says anything apart from oooooooishi!

DSCF4875.jpg

So when my coworkers wanted to go to one of the only shops in this sleepy town, I tagged along without a comment.

DSCF4876.jpg

I slurped, nodded my head when the Japanese staff I work with exclaimed their oishis, and kept the negativity to myself.

DSCF4881.jpg

Not bad, but nothing to go crazy about. At 600 yen it's not a waste of money.

Sorry Saga. I come here once every two years or so, and always stay by the station. Maybe I need to search a bit more, but the area has nothing of interest to me. Cool bar? Cafe? Restaurant? I'll keep up the search.

DSCF4883.jpg

There is a famous song (subtitled version here) about how lame Saga is. If you mention Saga as "S. A. G. A. Saga" you will get a laugh from your Japanese friends. It's like when you call Saitama Prefecture dasaitama, literally uncool ball. Sure you'll offend someone sooner or later, but it's fun to talk trash about the sticks.

DSCF4885.jpg

Will Saga ever be cool? Well, I found a local drink made from musdskippers from the Ariake Sea. It's a start!

DSCF4884.jpg

Map of 1 Chome-5-4 Tōjin, Saga-shi, Saga-ken 840-0813

佐賀県佐賀市唐人1-5-4
Saga-ken, Saga-shi, Tojin 1-5-4
Closest station: Saga

Open 11:00-22:00
Friday and Saturday 11:00-24:00
Sunday 11:00-20:00