Monday, November 9, 2015

らいふ (Life in Nagaoka, Niigata)

らいふ

DSCF3673.jpg

My work takes me up to Niigata a couple times a year, and I always use the opportunity to try some great bowls. Unfortunately, Niigata is vast, and the use of a personal car to get around to the best ramen shops is a must. Fortunately, I have a friend who lives up there, and he was happy to take me out for a quick bowl.

DSCF3665.jpg

Life has three main items; a rich tonkotsu gyokai bowl, a light style made with chicken and fish, and a heavier version of the light style. I'm a huge tonkotsu gyokai fan, so I went with the upper left on the ticket machine, plus an egg.

DSCF3681.jpg

Your typical awesome bowl. This style, when done right, is so good. Bits of dried fish stick to every slurp, and the taste is powerful but not overpowering.

DSCF3668.jpg

The toppings, slow cooked chashu and a great egg, were what put this one onto my recommended list.

DSCF3675.jpg

The other charm is that this is, in every way, a countryside ramen shop. There is seating for the whole family, cute toys scattered around the place, and a very lived-in vibe.

DSCF3680.jpg

The autographs caught my eye. El Dorado? Is it the same El Dorado that I know and love? The home base of the Jiraigen Syndicate, the guys behind Saikoro?

DSCF3679.jpg

You bet! Small world this ramen universe is.

DSCF3682.jpg

DSCF3684.jpg

Map of 4 Chome-7-12 Niibo, Nagaoka-shi, Niigata-ken 940-0875

新潟県長岡市新保4-7-12
Niigata-ken, Nagaoka-shi, Niibo 4-7-12
Closest station: Kita-Nagaoka

Open 11:00-14:30, 17:30-21:00
Sundays 11:00-15:00, 17:00-21:00
Closed Wednesdays

1 comment:

What's Cooking? said...

Ah I am so jealous, I love Niigata! ;)