Thursday, June 11, 2015

伊駄天 (Idaten in Shizuoka)

麺行使 伊駄天

DSCF1383.jpg

Looking back at my (very) old postings on Ramen Adventures, I am both embarrassed by my writing and nostalgic about a time where I knew almost nothing about ramen. Idaten had a pop-up at the Tachikawa NY Ramen Square, and I went back in 2008. I went, I slurped, and I was surprised to learn that shoyu ramen can have a strong taste.

DSCF1376.jpg

Fast forward half a decade . . .

They have been long gone from the Ramen Square, but the original shop in Shizuoka city is still popular.

DSCF1380.jpg

Though the shoyu is still what most regulars order, I really wanted to see what the Teppen was. Billed as ご当地ラー麺, local ramen, I didn't know what to expect. Shizuoka is famous for a few things, but how can green tea and oranges make it into a bowl of ramen?

DSCF1386.jpg

Oh, and Mt. Fuji. Very cute.

DSCF1387.jpg

Idaten make their own noodles, so it was easy to incorporate a little matcha powder into the mix. Though the soup was light, you really don't get a massive tea flavor, just a slightly different texture.

And that chashu, well it was flavored with local mikan, a type of small Japanese orange. Interesting, for sure, though not something I will be getting again. Yes, this bowl is fun, but overshadowed by their regular menu.

DSCF1391.jpg

Shizuoka city is a fantastic place for food. I'm not sure why, but this smallish town has more specialty gourmet, local sushi, and stylish cafes than any other comparable city in Japan.

DSCF1394.jpg

Apart from the regular menu, Idaten has four limited bowls to reflect the seasons. I wish I was around here enough to sample them all.

DSCF1398.jpg

Official Site Here

DSCF1374.jpg

Map of 7-5 Miyukichō, Aoi-ku, Shizuoka-shi, Shizuoka-ken 420-0857

静岡県静岡市葵区御幸町7-5
Shizuoka-ken, Shizuoka-shi, Aoi-ku, Miyuki-cho 7-5
Closest station: Shizuoka

Open 11:00-15:00, 17:30-23:00
Sundays 11:00-21:00

No comments: