Thursday, July 31, 2014

Hulu-lu in Ikebukuro

Hulu-lu

_DSC8075.jpg

Hawaiian-themed ramen in Ikebukuro? I'll admit, I was skeptical of this one!

_DSC8086.jpg

The default ramen-like noodle dish in Hawaii is called saimin. I had some once and it wasn't something I would be rushing to do again anytime soon. Soggy noodles, strange toppings, and a weak soup. I expected Hulu-lu to either be some sort of saimin thing, or I expected spam. Or pineapples.

_DSC8077.jpg

What you get is a solid shoyu in the new style. Bits of fried onion highlight a mellow soup. Everything about this bowl is subtle and relaxing. How Hawaiian of them!

_DSC8073.jpg

I have to mention the noodles. Made in the back by the master, they are firm and chewy. I was taken aback by how good they were. Siamin noodles are horribly soggy, so to have some perfectly cooked noodles was a surprise indeed.

_DSC8083.jpg

Ikebukuro tends to be a bit rough around the edges, so this little oasis is a welcome addition to my recommended ramen list. Be warned, though, they run out of soup at times.

_DSC8079.jpg

The spam. Yes, in Hawaiian fashion, there is spam. But not as a topping or ingredient in the soup. If you purchase the spam set (you should), you get a wonderful spam rice ball. Filled with konbu seaweed and a shiso leaf. It is even wrapped in plastic, so you can take it with you and have it later. Give it a try!

_DSC8064.jpg

Mahalo Hulu-lu!

_DSC8054.jpg

I made a video with the Yummy Japan crew. Check it out!



_DSC8058.jpg



東京都豊島区池袋2-60-7
Tokyo, Toshima-ku, Ikebukuro 2-60-7
Closest station: Ikebukuro

Open 11:30-15:00, 18:00-21:00
Sundays 11:30-15:30
Closed Tuesdays

1 comment:

Steve D. said...

Hulu-lu's ¥780 (now ¥790) soba [pale blue button] was recommended by Ramen Walker Tokyo 2018 magazine.
Can I deduce the spam set is the button in the bottom right next to the one taped over?
It appears one could do a ramen crawl in Ikebukuro 2 chome (BASSO, Kissui, Hulu-lu, Rock'an Do). 8=D#