Monday, March 3, 2014

天外天 (Tengaiten in Kumamoto)

天外天 本店

_DSC6217.jpg

Despite all of the shops I wanted to visit being closed (who closes their shop at 8pm on a Saturday night!), Tendaiten looked like a winner.

_DSC6211.jpg

For me, Kumamoto ramen is all about the balance of garlic. It is a battle between the creamy tonkotsu soup and the pungent nature of the stinking rose. Tengaiten delivers with sliced raw garlic marinated in a homemade soy dressing.

_DSC6213.jpg

If the impact isn't enough, add some more tare. Nice touch!

_DSC6215.jpg

This was the bowl for me. Every bite kicked you in the face, then let you savor the essence of pork.

_DSC6219.jpg

This chashu is off the hook. I'm guessing that is a theme with Kumamoto ramen. Tokyo take note! Use more garlic when making your pork!

_DSC6220.jpg

I wish I could live in some of these cities for a couple months. But, alas, Sunday comes and my flight is booked back to Tokyo.

_DSC6207.jpg



熊本県熊本市中央区安政町2-15
Kumamoto-ken, Kumamoto-shi, Chu-ku, Anseimachi 2-15
Closest station: Suidocho

Open 19:00-4:00am
Closed Mondays

No comments: