Monday, February 10, 2014

熊吉 (Kumakichi in Sapporo)

札幌ラーメン 熊吉 横丁本店

_DSC6009.jpg

Maybe I never gave an explanation about my job in Japan and the relation to all these seemingly random non-Tokyo ramen adventures. The quick run-down is that I perform in children's shows that visit a different city each weekend. One weekend Nagoya, one weekend Aomori. The performance halls are everywhere, from Abashiri to Okinawa. Nice gig!

But the downside is that free time on a free trip is limited. Often we will fly up Saturday morning, perform, hop a train to the next city, and check into the hotel after 9pm. Sundays are almost always work, work, work, so my only chance to get out and eat is Saturday night.

_DSC5986.jpg

So that's how I ended up at Sapporo's Raumen Yokocho (ramen alley) on one of the coldest weekends in January.

_DSC5998.jpg

The ramen alley is described as either a great place for a bowl, or a tourist trap. Regardless, it is super convenient, and the shops are open late.

_DSC5999.jpg

Or so I thought. I really wanted to go to Karyu, the only shop in the alley with a line, but they were closed for what looked like a family event. Too bad. Hey, that famous guy from TV went here!



The second choice was based purely on the kawaii factor; a cute piece of nori.

_DSC6003.jpg

Yep, my performance partner and I ducked into Kumakichi because they bothered to print something on their seaweed.

_DSC6008.jpg

If this bowl is any indication, the ramen alley is a tourist trap. A cheap bowl that did the trick (of making me less hungry), but that failed to impress.

_DSC6000.jpg

Looks like the local idol group enjoyed their bowls, though.

_DSC5990.jpg



北海道札幌市中央区南五条西3-8 元祖
Hokkaido, Sapporo-shi, Chuo-ku, Minami 5 Jonishi 3-8
Closest station: Sapporo

Open 12:00-2:00

No comments: